SPORTS COUNCIL - VIRTUAL FUNDRAISER
From: Land's End To: John o'Groats - LEJOG
On: Monday 12th July 2021
Last term the 2020/21 Sports Council team invited all students and staff to join them on their virtual 'Land's End to John o' Groats' fundraiser challenge. As a school we cycled, ran, walked and swam the distance (virtually) across the country. Students and staff participated before and after school completing 874 miles!
Land's End to John o' Groats journey is the equivalent distance of the whole length of Great Britain between Land's End in the southwest of England and John o’ Groats in the northeast of Scotland.
The @Ilkleygrammar ‘LEJOG’ team divided, conquered and even surpassed the 874-mile journey by nearly covering 150 extra miles by the end of play. Congratulations and thanks to everyone who participated. Many of whom even adapted their efforts where necessary due to isolation!
We've raised £545.00 so far with a few late donations still coming in to add to this!
A fantastic collective effort which will be spilt 50:50 between our two sources!
Who we have raised money for:
- New athletics equipment for Ilkley Grammar School PE department;
- Disability Sport Yorkshire - selected by the Sports Council.
Disability Sport Yorkshire
With 18% of the population having a disability or a long term medical condition and four out of five disabled people in England currently inactive, there is so much more to be done. By helping to raise funds for disabled people to take part in physical activity, more and more of the 1 million disabled people in Yorkshire can enjoy the health and social benefits of sport.
Disability Sport Yorkshire aims to make Yorkshire the best place in England for disabled people to:
- Improve their health through physical activity;
- Play sport on a regular basis;
- Become a sporting champion.
Our fundraising will help make a huge difference to the lives of disabled people!
- £50 pays for a two-hour activity session for disabled children
- £100 provides basic coaching for disabled people in a sport of their choice
- £250 buys essential adapted sports equipment
- £1,000 delivers a full day athletics completion for 400 disabled young people