POST-16 FACILITIES & STUDY SPACES
- The ‘Quiet Study’ area (F8) is for quiet, independent study. Only bottled water and no food or other drinks are allowed in this space during lesson time.
- The Supervised Study Room and Study centre (F5+F6) is a silent study area with IT facilities and will be staffed during lesson time so that students with timetabled study periods can be registered on SIMS. Only bottled water and no food or other drinks are allowed here during lesson time.
- F-Hall is used as a study area during lesson time but has a more informal atmosphere at break an lunchtime and can be used for socialising, eating and drinking.
- The lifts must not be used by students unless you are issued with a ‘lift pass’ for medical reasons. Misuse of the lift will result in sanctions. Lift passes are issued at the discretion of the Post-16 Student Managers.
The iCafe is located in F Hall and is for the sole use of Post-16 students and staff. It is open most of the day for breakfast, snacks, lunches and hot drinks. The use of reusable cups is encouraged for hot drinks and a discount is applied. There is a water fountain in F Hall and again the use of refillable bottles is encouraged to reduce single use plastics.
COURTYARD CAFÉ & THE NEW BUILDING MULTI-USE SPACE
The courtyard café and the multi-use space in the New Building can both be used by Post-16 students for quiet, collaborative study during lesson time if they have not been booked by a teacher for a lesson or other event.
The library is a pleasant place, reserved for reading and quiet work, and is somewhere you will probably spend quite a lot of time during your time in Post-16. It is open daily from 8.00 am – 4.00 pm (8.30 am – 4.00 pm on Tuesdays). As often as possible two periods per day are set aside for Post 16 study – please make use of them, but remember, the library is not the place to be if you just want to chat!
Here are a few guidelines which will enable us to maintain a positive working atmosphere.
- Find out how to use the library search program – Oliver. Ask the librarian if you need help or suggestions.
- Make full use of the library for research, work, browsing for books and quiet reading. Use the large range of curriculum-based online resources provided.
- You can borrow up to four books at a time, 2 fiction and 2 non-fiction, plus one journal and one DVD (media studies students can borrow as many DVDs as required). Just make sure you return them (or renew them) by the due date and in good condition. Lost or damaged items have to be paid for!
- The library now has 49 computers available (17 desktops, 32 laptops). You are welcome to use them in a mature and responsible manner.
- Each year group has somewhere to eat lunch, but it’s not the library! Plain water in clear plastic bottles is allowed, but not near the computers.
- As it is an area used by students in KS3 and 4 if you need to make a phonecall, do so within the Post-16 area only.
- The Philip Allan Review journals (in 12 subjects) are provided especially for Post 16 use. They are curriculum based with free online resources. In addition, student subscriptions may be ordered via the librarian, at substantially reduced rates.
Please follow these guidelines and everyone should be able to benefit from the thousands of items and online material available in and from the library.